In today’s post, I will be sharing nutritious snack ideas for breastfeeding moms that are quick and easy to make. Your body burns around 500 calories per day when you breastfeed. This is why nursing is an excellent way of losing some of the weight you’ve gained during pregnancy. With so many calories burnt every day, you are bound to get hungry. But remember, everything you eat can be passed on to your baby through your breastmilk.
Therefore it is now more important than ever to follow a balanced and nutritious diet. This doesn’t mean that you have to eat boring and unappetizing meals. There are plenty of healthy snacks and foods that you can incorporate into your diet that are delicious too. Don’t be scared to try new flavor combinations. Something as simple as apple slices with nut butter can give you a much-needed nutrition boost, and it is delicious!
Breastfeeding can take up a lot of time and in between changing diapers, feedings, and keeping your newborn happy, there is not always a lot of time to spare for preparing meals. With these quick and easy snacks, you can stay full and feel more energized for longer.
34 Nutritious snack ideas for breastfeeding moms
Basic nutritional guidelines
- For the best nutrition – snack on fruit, healthy fats (nuts, fish, avocado, whole egg) vegetables, calcium-rich foods (broccoli, dairy, spinach,etc), and protein (soy, egg, meat, dairy).
- For energy – eat complex carbohydrates like beans, whole grains, and vegetables.
- To stay fuller for longer – Snack on healthy fats and protein.
- To encourage lactation – Certain foods like oatmeal can encourage milk production.
How to plan your meals
When you are planning a meal, try to incorporate a variety of nutritious sources in every meal. Try to include a lean protein, complex carb, and healthy fat. A good example is chicken breast with diced avocado, steamed broccoli, and long grain rice. Don’t forget a glass of water since you need to stay hydrated when you’re nursing.
34 Best nutritional snacks for breastfeeding moms
- Hard boiled egg
- Granola bar
- Greek yogurt
- Sliced berries or fruit
- Smoked salmon
- Glass of milk
- Pretzels with cheddar cheese
- Sliced cold meat
- Nuts (mixed, cashews, almonds)
- Protein bar and milk
- Raw veggies with a dip or on their own
- Cottage cheese and pineapple
- Lactation cookies (find some in your local grocery store, order online, or make them yourself)
- Sliced cheese or cheese sticks
- Chia pudding
- Apple slices with organic nut butter
- Whole grain crackers with cheese, nut butter, avocado, hummus, or cheese
- Banana with rice cake
- Dark chocolate with raspberries
- Whole grain toast with cream cheese, smoked salmon, hummus, nut butter, or cottage cheese
- Trail mix (dried fruit/seeds/nuts)
- Toasted pita bread with avocado, salsa, or hummus
- Granola with plain yogurt
- Celery with hummus, plain yogurt, or nut butter
- Veggie chips (oven baked)
- Muesli with milk or plain yogurt
- Whole wheat muffins with veggies or fruit
- Tomato juice
- Air popped popcorn drizzled with shredded cheese or oil
- Applesauce with cinnamon
Apart from trying these nutritious snack ideas for breastfeeding moms and sticking to healthy drinks, nursing moms should include a variety of foods in their eating plan. Eating healthy can be exciting since you can mix sweet with savory and try new combinations and flavors.
Breastfeeding is excellent for bonding with your newborn, and it is important to take care of yourself so that you can take care of your little one. Making sure that you are as comfortable as possible will make this experience a more enjoyable one. Invest in a comfortable nursing bra, drink plenty of fluids to keep hydrated, and include as many nutritious snacks and foods into your daily eating plan as possible.
I hope this post has been useful. Be sure to share some of your nutritious snack ideas for breastfeeding moms with me.