10 Houseplants That Are Poisonous To Pets

In this post, I will be sharing 10 houseplants that are poisonous to pets. Houseplants can really liven up a home and give it a personal touch. Any dreary space can immediately look more inviting and homely when you add a few of your favourite houseplants. Pets can get up to all sorts of trouble and sometimes they love to dig out plants or chew on them. Some houseplants are toxic to pets and can make them really ill. To find out more about them, keep reading.

houseplants-that-are-poisonous-to-pets

10 Houseplants That Are Poisonous To Pets

The following 10 houseplants are toxic to pets and it might be a good idea to avoid having them in your home. The last thing you want is for your furry friends to become really ill, or worse, die from chewing on these plants, especially if it could have been avoided entirely.

Sago Palms

Sago palms are also known as cycads, coontie palms, zamias, or cardboard palms and they resemble small palm trees. Your pet can experience liver failure or seizures when they munch on them. The seeds in particular are highly toxic and can cause any of the following symptoms:

  • Depression
  • Diarrhoea
  • Vomiting

Amaryllis

This beautiful bulb has a large white or red flower that is shaped like a trumpet. The plant can grow up to 4-10 inches high and typical symptoms in dogs or cats that chewed on them include:

  • Vomiting
  • Drooling
  • Diarrhoea
  • Trembling
  • Rapid weight loss
  • Tenderness in the belly region

Begonia

The most poisonous section of a begonia plant that could lead to kidney problems, is the area that is under the ground in the root area. However, the blossoms and leaves are also toxic and could lead to irritation in your pet’s mouth that results in drooling, difficulty swallowing, and vomiting.

Tulips

This stunning, colourful flowers that are shaped like cups usually blossom at the beginning of Spring. They could pose a real issue for your furry children if they are mistaken for a snack. Any part of the plant can irritate their throats and mouths, however, the bulbs are the most poisonous. When a pet chews a few, it could result in these symptoms:

  • Difficulty breathing
  • Drooling
  • And sometimes convulsions

Lilies

Lilies are poisonous to cats and even the smallest amount can result in kidney damage. The entire plant is toxic, even the pollen. If your cat happened to chew on it, you will notice symptoms that include vomiting, drooling, and diarrhoea. You must get your cat to the veterinarian immediately if you suspect he has been poisoned. Lilies are not as toxic to dogs, but it could cause irritation in their stomachs or mouths, in particular, calla lilies.

Mistletoe

If using mistletoe is one of your festive traditions, then try to hang or place it where your pets can’t get in contact with it. The berries can lead to diarrhoea, breathing issues, vomiting, ataxia (wobbly walking), low heart rate, and seizures in cats and dogs.

Holly

When a pet has chewed on holly, you can expect to notice any of the following symptoms:

  • Head shaking
  • Lip smacking
  • Drooling

The toxins are part of the issue, but even the spiky leaves can cause problems in the tummy and mouth areas. You might notice low mood, vomiting and diarrhoea shortly after. Some holly plant types are more poisonous than others.

Schefflera

This household plant is commonly found in most households and is also known as starleaf or umbrella tree. It adds a splendid hint of green to any room and is easy to care for. However, if your pets happen to chew on it, it can cause intense irritation and burning in and around the mouth region, accompanied by drooling, swallowing issues, and vomiting.

Marijuana

It might sound strange to have a marijuana plant inside the home, however, some people have them for medicinal reasons. If you happen to keep a marijuana plant inside, be mindful that if your pet chews on it, it could result in drooling, rapid heart rate, vomiting, low body temperature, seizures, and even coma or unconsciousness.

Oleander

Oleander is highly toxic to pets and can place immense strain on their hearts, therefore you have to get him or her to the vet as quickly as possible if you suspect he or she might have nibbled on it. Other symptoms include:

  • Muscle weakness
  • Tremors
  • Extreme vomiting
  • Seizures

 How Can You Protect Your Pet?

  • Keep toxic plants away from areas where your pets can get in contact with it.
  • Clean up any debris or leaves that might tempt them into chewing on it.
  • Get in contact with an emergency vet immediately if you suspect your pet has eaten something poisonous, particularly when you notice any of the symptoms mentioned above.
  • Try to figure out which plant the pet ate before taking him to the vet.
  • If you are unable to get a hold of an emergency vet, you can also contact your local SPCA.

Conclusion

I hope my post about 10 houseplants that are poisonous to pets have given you some insight into which plants are unsafe to keep around pets. When it comes to pets it is always good to know what to do and what to avoid to keep them safe and healthy.

 

Be the first to reply

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *